Hello Fellow Toastmasters…this month’s message - REFLECTION
I have delayed my October message until I have had a moment to visit our renewal numbers and completed attendance of as many area contests as I was able to get to.
Reminder Division W contest is around the corner:
Date: October 16 2015
Time: 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Location: Cambridge School of Architecture
Cost: $10 at the door.
Hope to see you all there!
- Les Volubiles – Div W’s first French club has submitted its charter papers! Just waiting on the final step! Congratulations!
- Waterloo Silver tongues celebrates 25 years with Toastmasters this month
- Great job at the area contests I was able to attend – looking forward to Oct 16th
Division W Needs Help!
- We have many new members in clubs that don’t have mentors as there are not enough seasoned TM’s in those clubs. I am in the process of putting together a list of members from other clubs who can serve as mentors to members in other clubs. Remember with technology you can IPHONE chat with someone, SKYPE, and a number of other means to help new members out in other clubs – Please let your area director or myself know if you can become a mentor to a new member of TM’s. Let’s not let them down!
- Division W is in need of club coaches – please let myself or Paul Lynott if you are able to help. Club Coach is hard work, but very rewarding and definitely helps you “stretch”.
Areas of Opportunity
- Renewals took a big hit – in Division W we decreased by 193 members that’s a 30% drop.
- 89 of those who did not renew were Toastmasters who signed up in the last year.
- Number of clubs 12 or under has increased to 18 from 10 at the start of the year – that’s almost half our clubs 34+1 coming
Seeing these numbers I would like to encourage all the clubs to consider and reflect upon the following:
- Have you completed a moments of truth? Don’t know what that is? Check TI there is downloadable material. Should be held at least once a year! Some clubs are having none at all.
- Do you have a greeter at the door? Do you have a guest book? Does the VP of Mem Follow up with the names in the guest book? Do the guests get a guest kit? A name tag? An explanation of how TM’s works? If not make sure at every meeting there is someone there to talk a guest through this. A guest should never be left alone at break! Make them feel welcome.
- Is your Facebook, website, easy speak up to date and current? I’m alarmed to see the number in division w that are not and encourage all of you to make this happen quickly.
- Do you have CC’s and CL’s on hand when new members start? Once you vote in and sign a member up, they should leave with their CC and CL in hand. Remind them when theirs comes in to return them, get them started on the program right away.
- Are you registering new members right away? I understand the concern around the Rate of exchange, however, not registering a new member prevents them from receiving the TM’s magazine and access to other TM information.
- Are you holding the 3 annual membership drives? If not why not? Don’t know how? Reach out to your area director or another club. There are lots of sources available. Are you holding at least one open house a year? There are people here to help.
- If you’re membership numbers are low, have you considered holding a speech craft? A great way to get new members in to complete 3 of their first 10 speeches! Don’t know how? Reach out there are resources here to help you!
- Are your meetings themed and planned out ahead? Have you tried the backwards meeting, take me out to the ballgame? Fishbowl, Christmas in july? These should be standard every year! There lots of fun!
- Are you using the educational series available? Especially when your club has a lot of new members your primary focus should be on educating them how to prepare for a speech, how to prepare for a role. I’ve been very surprised by the number of clubs not having education sessions at least once a month, or that didn’t even know these books existed. Schedule 10 minutes/month or weekly for this important information. Download all the manuals for free off of TM’s international!
- Are your executive team’s meeting monthly or bi monthly? I have heard some have not met at all or once or twice a year! The executive is critical to the vision and direction the club takes, so please make these meetings happen!
There are solutions to our club’s membership issues, but sometimes it requires a deep hard look at what we’re doing in our clubs currently and ask ourselves what needs to be changed then make that happen.
My challenge to all of the clubs in division w for the remainder of the year is to sign up 1 guest a month, that would take us from October to June, a total of 9 months. 9 months and 34 clubs means 306 potential new members. That would put us into the 700 club!
Your area directors and myself will be meeting to put together an action plan to help, but I want to reach out to all of you to get this vision started!
With contests out of the way, let’s make this our focus for the upcoming months!
Division W Director